Drawing from the important Modernist precedent, the Villa Muller in Prague by Adolf Loos, this project to extend and reconfigure the ground floor of a 1950s terraced house in Islington punches above its weight. Thin slabs of green-veined marble are carefully book-matched with mitred corners to give the appearance of monolithic blocks emerging from the ground to hold up the back of the house. This gives a material gravitas we felt was lacking in the original 1950’s house. The new work is separated from the old with a strip of rooflight and two mirrors facing each other, making a visual conceit of increased depth, separating the ‘house’ form the new ‘pavilion’.
Contractor: Moy Homes Ltd
Engineer: Osborne Edwards Ltd
Photographs by Studio Sam Causer